Saturday, February 13, 2010

Bicycles Against Poverty

As I reflect on this Valentines weekend of all the events which have occurred over the last year, from the growth of our blog to the initiation of our radio show, it seems like there have been so many changes with me, people I have connected with, mojitos I have concocted with international friends alike.  Yet, we’re still facing the same battles, women are still subjected to horrific and catastrophic conditions, infants are still malnourished and the concept of war conflict continues to scratch its nails down our visible chalkboards.  Despite all of this, I have found courage and hope and motivation in my guests on my show, many whom I have developed and fostered great friendships.

One such individual goes by Muyambi.  Having grown up in Uganda, he had been exposed to some of the harsh realities most of us reading this piece would not be able to conceive.  He was one of the lucky students - Muyambi was able to gain a scholarship from Norway before coming to the US and brought his dream and vision with him.  He identified a very clear niche in local Ugandan communities where having access to a bike could literally mean that a villager could take their young baby to the medical clinic, have access to a basic need such as water.  I am always encouraged when I meet people like Muyambi – take a look at our show below: Bicycles Against Poverty 

0 comments: